Saturday, November 13, 2010

Aziz!!!

What a great win by the Dawgs today! Since this is my first post, I've been editing for John up until now, I figure I should introduce myself. My name is Scott Alspach and I'm a senior at the UW double majoring in Electrical and Computer Engineering. That double major is the reason it has taken me so long to write my first post, but homework has slowed down and with the first basketball game of the season today I figured I owed it to everyone who couldn't attend the game to describe the biggest (And I do mean biggest) addition to the Husky lineup.

Aziz N'Diaye finished the game with 13 points and 15 rebounds (9 offensive), and almost singlehandedly caused McNeese State's two starting post players to foul out. He ended up shooting 15 FT's, and while he only made 3, I'm hopeful that his FT percentage will increase throughout the year. If he had shot even 50% he would have ended up with 18 or so points.

His presence on defense was also felt. He altered the shot of any guards who drove into the lane (which didn' t happen too often due to solid perimeter defense by our guards, particularly Venoy Overton). When coming down with defensive rebounds Aziz sticks his elbows out and clutches the ball like he's trying to pop it. Don't expect to see anyone taking the ball away from him in the low post.

While we didn't see too much of a post up game from Aziz today, he moved well without the ball, passed out when nothing was there, and was almost always ready for the pass from a penetrating guard. During one sequence, a guard (I think it was Abdul Gaddy) drove into the lane, dished it back to a trailing Aziz who was going to throw down one of the biggest dunks ever seen in Hec Ed, if not for a foul which knocked him to the floor. If you haven't made it to either of our games this year the only way I can describe Aziz's size and strength is to say that he has the potential to break a backboard this year.

Not only is Aziz tall, long, and strong, he is remarkably fast as well. On second thought, maybe it isn't difficult to run fast when it takes you about 3 steps to reach the key from half court.

Aziz showed us today that he is a capable sub for MBA, who can hold his own defensively, rebound the ball, and give us plenty of putbacks off of offensive boards. While Aziz is going to continue to improve throughout his time at the UW, he is already a difference maker who should give Coach Romar even more options when he gameplans for opposing teams.

While there is a lot more to say about the game, I think John will be posting about it later, I'm going to go get something to drink and try to get my voice back after losing it from one of MBA's monstorous dunks. I'll also be watching the Cal-Oregon football game and rooting for Cal to put a stop to the ridiculously good Oregon offense. 8-7 Oregon at the half, it could be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment