Tuesday, November 23, 2010

University of Kentucky Review

Final Score UK-74 UW-67


I might post a review tomorrow if I have time, I don't know if I will be able to post a preview of the MSU game. School is not canceled tomorrow so I have homework to finish at the moment and I also have lab data to take and a ferry to catch home. I'd also like to take some time to cool off and watch the game again. The reffing was poor and due to our lack of shooting ability tonight, it really hurt us. We should not have let the refs control the outcome, but we did. A complete game changing moment came when Brandon Knight elbowed Overton in the face, no foul was called, a pass was made inside where a foul was called against UW. They went to the monitor after some coaxing and determined it was a technical. Overton made both baskets, but Kentucky retained the ball and took both their foul shots as well, effectively canceling out the technical. If the official had made the proper call when it should have been made it would have been a 5 point game. UW shot themselves in the foot too many times to get the win. They let themselves get out rebounded and out shot. Aziz was one of the few players I thought played well. I give him props for that. If you want a review of the game check out Percy Allen's blog for the Seattle Times, Montlake Madness should put up a review, ESPN will likely have a brief story as well. I may be able to convince Scott to put up a review, but he has less time than I do.
I'll see what I can do and give you what I can later. The one problem with a physics major, or in Scott's case a double science major, is time and homework can really creep up on you if you don't stay completely on top of it.

UW will face Michigan State tomorrow in the 3rd/4th place game.

Scott's thoughts: I agree with John on most of his points. We didn't do enough to win but it would have been interesting to see what happened if some calls had gone the other way. Hopefully we can bounce back tomorrow and take it to MSU. I'm definitely proud of our team for battling back, and I have faith that by tournament time they will be ready to win games like this.

My last thought on the game, until the weekend at least: I'm so glad we have such a classy coach in Lorenzo Romar. I was embarresed for Kentucky fans the way that Calipari behaved during the game, I hope he doesn't behave like that every game. Coach Romar is one of the best things about the University of Washington and I'm glad he's going to be around a long time.

Expect big things out of I.T. tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the turning point was Gant's fourth foul. Gant was having a great game. He was one of the few players who could hit from outside. He played solid underneath, and seemed to play well with Aziz (who, as you mentioned, played extremely well). Gant needs to avoid the silly fouls, though. He had a couple against Virginia, but it didn't matter. Tonight it did.

    Even though this was a really tough loss, the team showed a lot of grit. They climbed back into the game despite shooting poorly. They didn't cause many turnovers either. They may have been fatigued (the Dawgs had less than 24 hours between the games).

    In short, despite the loss, this team looks really good. They played with character. They showed that they have lots of weapons. If all the guys play well, they can beat anyone. There aren't too many teams in the country like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, if nothing else this game proved we are a top ten caliber team. Pulling it out against MSU tomorrow would do wonders for the team. Hang tough Dawg fans, we are almost there.

    ReplyDelete