Thursday, March 31, 2011

Isaiah Thomas to Enter NBA Draft

Isaiah Thomas released this statement today and, in my mind, shocked much of Husky Nation.

“Although it was a tough decision, I have decided to forego my senior season and enter my name into this year’s NBA draft. At this time I will not hire an agent. Over the past 3 years I’ve enjoyed every single minute of my Washington Husky career. I am very thankful to have played for a great coach like Coach Romar and our entire coaching staff. I have just over two quarter left to earn my degree, and I fully plan on finishing school. Also, I would like to take the time to thank all of my teammates and Husky fans for their support and the unforgettable memories. Go Dawgs!”

Because Isaiah is not hiring an agent, he could still feasibly return for his senior year if the draft camps do not give him a positive vibe towards a high draft number. Regardless, this is somewhat shocking news as both IT and his father had hinted at Isaiah returning for his senior year.

I'll keep you updated as I learn more. I also planning on writing the player recaps this weekend as I'll have some time to do so.

EDIT: "Thomas has yet to hire an agent, but at the beginning of a conference call with reporters said, 'yes, it is a goodbye.'"

It appears as though no matter the outcome of the draft camps, IT will be entering the draft and will not return to Montlake. Unlike Jake Locker, this is a move I do not understand. It is one thing to consider the draft as a non-senior  and then come back because the talent level just isn't there yet, or like Jake, to be a legitimate pro prospect and decide to return, it is quite another to be an undersized player with a pretty good set of skills. Isaiah would do himself a huge favor by returning to put in another year of hard work to develop his jumper and ball handling skills. He would set all sorts of records, possibly win a fourth straight championship of some sort, three straight Tournament MVP titles, four All Pac-10 team selections, he could make the All-American list, and on and on. He would get a TON of publicity and raise his stock.

Go Dawgs!

No comments:

Post a Comment